There’s a taco-shaped hole in our heart that yearns for the evenings we spent sipping mezcal and chomping on Chef Richard Hinojosa’s award-winning gourmet creations at CRUjiente. Luckily, you can still make these Mexican delights at home by doing curbside pickup of Hinojosa’s taco kits. Kits include par-cooked proteins, homemade organic heirloom blue corn tortillas and all the fixings for favorites like the pork belly tacos, Thai shrimp tacos, Texas wagyu tacos, garlic roasted mushroom tacos and green Chile chicken tacos. To get your Taco Tuesday started, CRU has shared with us the recipe for the latter.
CRUjiente’s Green Chile Chicken Taco Recipe
1 cup pepitas
8 oz. fresh tomatillos, hulled, washed and quartered
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
3/4 cup yellow onion, sliced
4 garlic cloves
3 fresh jalapeños, washed, stemmed and chopped (leave seeds in if you prefer more spice)
3/4 cup fresh cilantro, washed and chopped, small stems OK
6 epazote leaves
1/2 cup romaine leaves, washed and chopped
3 tbsp vegetable oil
Salt to taste
4 boneless, skin-on chicken breasts
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tbsp green chile powder
Salt to taste
Thinly sliced sautéed red onion for garnish
Thinly sliced jalapeno for garnish
12 corn or flour tortillas
Directions for Mole Verde Sauce
1. In a large sauté pan, dry toast the pepitas until golden brown and fragrant. Carefully remove from pan and puree in a blender
2. Add the tomatillos, onion, garlic, jalapeño, cilantro, epazote, romaine and half of the chicken stock. Puree until very smooth.
3. In a sauce pot, heat the oil. Very carefully pour the sauce from the blender into the hot oil, whisking constantly. Be careful, it will splatter.
4. Let the sauce simmer for a 8-10 minutes, then add the remaining chicken stock, whisk until well incorporated. Let the sauce simmer for 12-15 minutes, stirring to avoid scorching on the bottom of the pan. Taste, season and reserve.
Directions for Chicken
1. Place the chicken skin-side down and season with salt, onion, garlic, cumin and green chile powders. Grill or sauté skin side down for about 4-5 minutes, flip over and cook for another 4-5 minutes depending on size of chicken.
2. Check temperature with a thermometer to ensure that the center is cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Remove from grill or pan and let rest.
1. Slice the chicken into 1/4-inch slices against the grain of the meat and set aside.
2. Warm tortillas in a pan, top with a few slices of the chicken, drizzle with a spoonful of mole verde and top with sautéed onions and sliced jalapenos. Enjoy!
All curbside and delivery orders can be made by phone between 10:30AM to 6:00PM. All curbside pick-ups and deliveries are between 2-7PM. 3961 E. Camelback Road, Phoenix, 602.687.7777, crutacos.com
Photography by: Photo by Debby Wolvos, courtesy of CRUjiente